As many nice posts as I may have planned regarding fun things to do in the summer, the weather simply does not want to play along!
So I will put those off to another day and talk to you about my new love!
I have been working out almost daily for about 4 months now and the results have been nothing short of amazing! I finally found what works for me after trying SO many different things. I would like to share with you my tactics and maybe you can find something that would make working out work for you! We can eat as healthy as we want to but unless we move our bodies- we will never get the full effect.
I know, I know, I wish eating healthy was all it took too! I did so much whining and denial about this, spare yourself. Just do it as nike would say. ;)
Disclaimer: I am not a physician! So consult your doctor before starting workout programs, bla bla bla. I have to say this.
1) 10 minutes counts!! Don’t dispute the effect of a 10 minute workout. There are such great options out there free on youtube. Just get up 10 minutes earlier and do something before you hop in the shower (links to some of my fave workouts will be at the bottom).
2) Work out in the morning. By now I have learned to have my workout outfit next to the bed. I wake up and I change in to workout clothes. Done. Now I am dressed and I HAVE to work out. I’ll drink some water while I pick out what I want to do that day. If I am feeling very unmotivated- I will just do 10 minutes. Otherwise I do 15, 20, or 30. You will see results even if you only work out 10 minutes a day. I did! Just do the right workouts.
3) Work out at home. I used to do hot yoga which I loved- my knees didn’t though. Neither did my wallet. Did I hop on the bus and go over there lugging my yoga mat the minute it rained or snowed? NO. Also I got the flu and could’t go- what a waste of 80€/month. Before that I was at a lovely gym in the 7th- hated lugging my stuff there. I was also at Holmes Place before that. It’s lovely, they have a steam room, I still hated lugging my stuff there. All you need to workout at home are some small weights (12€ at Intersport!) and a yoga mat. Done. No more expenses, no more carrying stuff around, and the comfort of your own shower with all your organic shampoos. ;)
4) Switch it up. The past months I have switched around between blogilates (an excellent Pilates program free online), body rock, whatever looks good on youtube (Musical dance anyone? Anyone? It was fun!), and popsugar fitness. Youtube has whatever you fancy! Are you mad at someone? Maybe today is kickboxing day then! It helps! ;)
5) Do it everyday. It is easier to just be in the habit of doing it everyday than to have set days in the week where stuff can come up. Trust me. 10 minutes everyday that you actually do is more effective than 60 minutes 3x per week where you don’t even do it half the time. If you do it in the morning you are done. Nothing else can get in your way that day because it’s done! Feel free to take Sundays off if you want.
6) Choose your pace. I can’t stress this enough. If 10 minutes is all you can do- start there. It’s fine. If you are only comfortable with yoga right now- then do yoga. There are no rules. If a video is too hard do half the reps. Start where you can and work your way up at a pace you are comfortable. Working out should not be something you dread.
7) Move more throughout the day. Maybe get off a stop early and walk, or take the stairs once in a while. These little extra movements make a difference.
8) Work your whole body. Abs and legs on Mondays, arms on Tuesdays, only do whole body workouts. Whatever you like- just make sure you’re working everything.
Last but not least:
9) Make it fun! Once in a while my siblings and I like to go to the park with towels and work out there. We also play badminton, and bike around. It is all exercise. Have fun with it!
Link time! I will post links of some of my favorite workouts. They will be a bit random. They will feature girls- guys, that is no excuse for you not to do it! It should be motivation really. Ha ha.
So first my current love. It is not free but it is awesome! I feel relaxed and zen when I do these workouts. I love the layout and that it works with apple tv airplay. Also I have been wanting to try Barre for a really long time now and they don’t have it in Austria. The online studio works for me!
As you can see, you can pick how much time you have and what kind of workout you want to do. It work’s seamlessly and the workouts are amazing! To see if Barre is something you like try this 10 minute workout. You can also try a 30 minute workout here. There are two or three more 10 minute ones. Just type Barre 3 into youtube and they will come up.
Another love of mine is Blogilates. Cassey Ho is such a sweet trainer and really kicks you into shape! The minute you start wanting to quit and curse she starts talking about nail polish colors and distracts you. It’s kinda weird actually. I love it though! I think she’s super cute. Some of my favorites of hers are:
Gangam Style Cardio
Now if you are a guy reading this and you want a “manly” workout. You can try www.bodyrock.tv do the one week challenge to get started. Bodyrock can be done in 6-12 minutes a day with serious results but it does require some more equipment. An ex bodyrock trainer Zuzka has some videos on youtube but mostly up for subscription like Barre 3. They are very intense. If you are into that- have fun!
Last but not least, I love pop sugar fitness on youtube. They have a 10 minute series where celebrity trainers come and do a segment. Get Beyonce’s abs or whatever. These are the videos I do when I only want to do 10 minutes and I need a serious ass kicking. You will be sore, you will be sweaty, it will feel like 30 minutes instead of ten. But at the end of it you will be done and feel amazing! My favorite part about these is that there is a countdown timer at the top lefthand corner so you know there are only 3 minutes to go. Very motivating and keeps me with it! some popsugar favorites are (Partially because they are standing. Sometimes I am not in the mood for mat work) :
Victoria’s Secret Model Workout - by a real VS model trainer (Heidi Klum’s!)
Belly Fat Blast- by Pink’s trainer. She will really work you in 10 minutes!
Selena Gomez Abs (Pop Physique)- if you only have 4 minutes- do this.
10 minute no equipment workout- you need nothing for this! You can do it anywhere! Just do it!!
So I hope the above links will get you started and moving! A trick to find new kinds of workouts is to search through amazon.com and see what the highest reviewed fitness videos are. There is something there for everyone. Make sure you are doing what works for your body. I for one don’t handle stress well and my body reacts much more to pilates/yoga/ballet workouts than to hardcore cardio. I like zumba but it doesn’t do much for me! Figure out what your type is!
Most of all remember: we work out so we can eat real, clean food and ditch the stupid diets forever!
I don’t know about you but I will choose 10 minutes of working out and then eating what I like (clean and healthy of course) than dieting and starving myself to be skinny as opposed to fit!
The healthy chocolate cookies I had for breakfast were so good too. ;)